From cocktails and acrylics to DIY, Albany, Georgia paints a colorful art scene for your next getaway
Like the pecan groves and cotton fields that dot the South Georgia landscape, visual, performing and even do-it-yourself art is abundant in Albany, Georgia. Located about an hour off of I-10 and only 30 minutes from I-75, Albany is the perfect resting point when en route to and from Savannah, Charleston or even Florida. Here are the top five stops for art-lovers.
1. The Albany Museum of Art (AMA) offers over twenty art exhibitions each year, in addition to its impressive permanent collections of 20th Century American and European art. The museum is also home to one of the largest displays of traditional African art in the Southeast. Even though AMA is known for its highly esteemed works, it’s also a place where guests can let their hair down. Grab a friend and a bottle of wine for Cocktails and Acrylics every second Thursday of the month. Sip, chat and let the trained teachers be the guide as you create a treasured piece to take home. www.AlbanyMuseum.com
2. For more than 40 years, the Albany Symphony Orchestra (ASO) has delighted crowds with sweet sounds from accomplished musicians. This season, sit back and enjoy “A Salute to America,” featuring Copland’s “Appalachian Spring” and Gershwin’s “Rhapsody in Blue.” In February, celebrate Valentines with a true, “Romantic Evening.” This concert features German Romantic favorites and Schumann’s “Concertpiece for 4 Horns and Orchestra.” This spring, take a trip to Paris without ever leaving the South during “A French Excursion.” The ASO is teaming up with a combined chorus composed of Georgia college singers and other local vocalists performing Durufle’s impressionistic, “Requiem.” www.AlbanySymphony.org
3. Since 1932, Theatre Albany has made audiences believe–through its show-stopping performances–that they have been transported to New York City’s Broadway. Housed in a historic Southern Antebellum home, the professionals at the theatre make audiences cry and laugh while leaving everyone undoubtedly entertained. This season there is an act for everyone to enjoy: from a mystery/comedy, “The Disturbing Disappearance of the Blue Monkey,” to a Christmas Pageant and even an appearance by the weird and wonderful “Addams Family.” www.TheatreAlbany.com
4. The front door is the first impression of a home; a good Southerner never leaves it undecorated. That’s why several Albany businesses have teamed up to host “Door Hanging Parties.” An ideal outing for groups of gals–or even guys looking for a unique outing, purchase the door placard of your choice; then, the store provides the paint to dress it up for the season. www.AlbanyGa.com
5. Paint your own pottery at The Clay Spot. Grab a friend, a date or even bring the kids to this family-friendly studio. At The Clay Spot, it’s not just about the painting; it’s about the experience. Kick back and have a few laughs while the friendly staff helps you create a beautiful piece of pottery to take home. The Clay Spot is also the perfect place to throw a party. www.TheClaySpot.com